Thursday, February 28, 2008

Thursday update -

I have been having so much trouble uploading new pictures of the baby, but I'm hoping to get it worked out shortly! In any event, here is Thursday's update:

-Dr. K's nurse took my staples out today. The last time I had stitches taken out was after a diving accident when I was 8 and the mere sound of the stitches being pulled through my head made me pass out. So I was a little concerned that I might not make it today but I just hummed and looked at the ceiling and soon enough the staples were pulled out! It wasn't so bad. I'm still in quite a bit of pain, but the medicine helps a little. Yesterday I had excruciating back pain and have been having migraine headaches, but according to Dr. K. it was the spinal anaesthetic leaving my body so today has been better. Dr. K. reviewed last Friday's events w/us briefly and said that the best way to have a baby is by c-section. We're not sure if he's just saying that because American doctors LOVE c-sections because they reduce their liability or if it's truly the very safest way to go. I'd love to research that but it really is somewhat irrelevant at this point and I don't have the time!

Now on to what you've all been waiting for - the update on Skyler bird -

-Skyler was 4lbs11oz at birth and now weighs 4lbs6oz. Her billirubin was 4.8 yesterday and is 6.2 today (it was in the 8s a few days ago) so she may have rebounded since they took her out from under the lights. The doctor is going to test her in the morning, and if need be, it's back under the lights for Ms. Skyler. :( Hopefully all is well and she doesn't need that.
-Adding to the jaundice problem is the fact that she is not suckling as well as she was in the first few days of her life and she's throwing up every now and then. The less she eats, the less "poopy diapers" she makes and this prevents her little body from ridding itself of the bad stuff that adds to her jaundice. We're working on all of this and trying to figure out a solution.
-Skyler is now in an open bassinet instead of her little plastic incubator coccoon.
-Skyler is so small that preemie clothes are too big for her!
-Skyler likes it when her daddy sings the "rockets in flight, afternoon delight song" to her.
-Skyler made her first toot tonight when I was changing her and then poopied. That was a lot of fun. :)
-Sadie dog is very much looking forward to meeting her new little sister. Last night when Drew came for Skyler's 9pm feeding, he brought Sadie in the car and bundled her up in a blanket and surprised me when we left for the evening. Sadie waited patiently for us and is being a very good dog.

That's it for now. I will work on uploading new pics and video to YouTube and hopefully can get some new media up tonight/tomorrow, so keep checking back.

No comments: