Monday, February 25, 2008

Quick update if you're just now tuning in -

I have a splitting headache from all the Percocet I'm hopped up on, so I'm going to try to make this quick!

BABY:

-Skyler is under the lights since she is a little jaundiced, but she is doing well
-The ultrasound results on Skyler's sacral dimple came back late last night and the neonatologist told us that it is not indicative of spina bifida and she appears to be just fine. She just has a crooked little bottom, so now we can all tease her relentlessly about that for the rest of her life. :)
-She was 4lbs, 11oz, 17.5 inches long at birth. Everyone seems to think that was very good considering how premature she is (7 weeks). Her suckling is pretty good and she is taking bottles every 3 hrs until I can feed her.
-Skyler has Erica's nose, and Drew's hair, maybe Aunt Gina's chin, and maybe Bill McCain's (AKA "Manny") eyes. Honestly, she looks a little bit like an Ewok or Winston Churchill to me right now, but in a beautiful way, of course.
-Skyler does not cry very much and just seems to be enjoying sleeping (like Mommy) and taking everything in. She especially likes it when her Daddy talks to her.
-The last we heard, Skyler should be in the hospital for about 3 weeks. She is doing so well, though, that hopefully she'll be able to come home to us sooner.

ERICA:
-Every day the pain subsides a bit, which is good because on Saturday I felt like I had doggy paddled all the way from Cuba to the beaches of Ft. Lauderdale.
-I think I am going to get to go home today. I haven't seen a doctor since the surgery on Friday but they are doing rounds today and will probably take out my staples and send me on my happy way.
-The bazillions spent on R&D at the Percocet lab was money well spent. I can't say enough about this, although unfortunately it is not a magic pill!

That's about it for now. I'm going to try to get more food smuggled in for me since I haven't eaten in about 4 days. More updates later!

PS - Go to Youtube and search "elgartner" for Skyler's birth video and some video of her in the NICU.

No comments: