Tuesday, August 4, 2009

New parents are precious, aren't we?

"What's this thing on my ankle, Grandma?"





"Well, that's a hospital bracelet because you swallowed a Goody barrette, Skyler."

"See you next time, X-ray techs!"
New parents are so precious. I'm sure the ER staff can spot us a mile away. We're the ones that bring our babies in with frantic looks on our face and hurried voices, reluctantly admitting that we have somehow allowed our little one to ingest a barrette. Dr. Johnson looked at us skeptically when the X-ray showed no sign of a barrette at all. He ordered a second set of X-rays "just to be safe" (ahem, limit liability) only to get the same result. For two days, daycare delivered poopy diapers to me so I could sort through poo to find the tiny foreign object that had (hopefully) made its way through my tiny baby's tummy.
Good news came tonight - not in the form of a poo-covered barrette, either (thank, God). I searched the car and located the barrette!! Yay! No pointy metal thing traveling through my baby's body. That's always a good thing!
I swear we saw her put it in her mouth and when Drew searched for it, it wasn't there anymore. Really.
Skyler's new nickname is Houdini. I think it suits her.


No comments: